FRIENDS OF THE LIBRARY
College of Charleston
ARTICLE I – Name
The name of the association shall be the Friends of the Library of the College of Charleston (hereinafter called the “Friends”).
ARTICLE II – Purpose
The purpose of the Friends shall be to promote the interests of the libraries of the College of Charleston.
ARTICLE III – Membership
Any person interested in the purpose of this association may become a member by meeting the requirements of membership as set by the Board of Directors of the Friends. Membership shall run for one calendar year from the beginning of that calendar year.
The annual schedule for membership categories (which may be Associates, Patron, Student, Contributing, etc.) shall be set by the Board.
ARTICLE IV – Officers of the Friends
Section 1: Officers. The officers of the Board of the Friends of the Library shall be a Chair and Vice Chair. The Secretary of the Friends, an ex officio officer, shall be appointed by the Dean of Libraries. Other ex officio members of the Friends Board of Directors shall be the Dean of Libraries and the College Provost.
Section 2, Number 1: Nominations and Elections. Members of the Board of Directors of the Friends shall be elected for three year terms by Board members at the annual meeting of the Board. Prior to the annual meeting at which members of the Board are to be elected, the Nominating Committee, whose members are elected by the Board, shall nominate a slate to be presented to the Board at the meeting. A majority of those present and voting in each instance shall be necessary for election. The terms of members so elected shall begin with the annual meeting at which they are elected and continue until their successors qualify.
Section 2, Number 2: Election of Officers. Each officer, except ex-officio officers, shall be elected by the Board at an annual meeting.
Section 3: Duties of the Officers. The officers of the Board shall have the usual powers and duties exercised by the officers of the voluntary association. Neither the officers nor the Board shall have any authority to borrow money or incur any indebtedness or liability, in the name of or on behalf of the Friends.
Section 4: Terms of Office. The terms of office of the Chair and Vice Chair shall be for two years. There are no other limitations.
Section 5: Vacancies. Any vacancy in any office shall be filled for the remainder of the term through appointment by the Board of Directors, whose members shall be polled by the Secretary of the Friends.
ARTICLE V – Board of Directors
Section 1: Membership of the Board of Directors of the Friends. The Board shall consist of a minimum of 12 members, elected by the Board at its annual meeting. Members of the Board of Directors shall serve terms of three years each.
Section 2: Ex-Officio Members of the Board of Directors of the Friends. The Board shall include three Ex-Officio members: the Executive Director of the Avery Research Center, the President of the South Carolina Historical Society, and the Executive Director of the South Carolina Historical Society. Ex-Officio Members shall enjoy the full rights and privileges of the duties as Members of the Board of Directors of the Friends.
Section 2: Meetings of the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors shall meet at least twice a year. The spring meeting will constitute the annual meeting. Meetings shall be called by the Chair, or by the Secretary upon written request of five members of the Board. A majority of the members shall constitute a quorum.
Section 3: Vacancies. Vacancies in the elected membership of the Board shall be filled by the Dean of Libraries upon the recommendations of the members of the Board.
The charge to the Board of the Directors of the Friends of the Library is to:
- Assist the Dean and development staff in raising the visibility of the Library in the community, across the state and in the nation.
- Advise the Dean and development staff about individuals who are potential sources of library support.
- Identify collections that may be candidates for donation to the library’s special and general collections.
- Provide an annual contribution to the College of Charleston at a minimal level of the 1770 Society. Ex-Officio Directors are encouraged to support the College of Charleston at a level they deem appropriate.
- Provide introductions to potential contributors to the Library and assist in cultivating the interest of prospects in the Library.
- Offer advice and assistance about corporations and foundations that might be sources of support for the library.
- Establish criteria for membership in the Friends of the Library and develop policies for levels of membership and recognition for gifts.
- Advise on selection of members of the Board of Directors.
Specific duties of the members of the Board include:
- Serve three-year terms on the Board.
- Participate on at least one of the Board committees.
- Attend the two meetings of the Board—fall and spring.
- Become an informed advocate for the Library, its services, its opportunities, its problems, its strengths and its weaknesses.
- Host library-oriented meetings
- Help identify potential members of the Friends and potential contributors to the Library endowment fund.
- Advise the Dean and development staff about strategies to increase the visibility of the Library.
ARTICLE VI – Committees of the Friends
Section 1: Standing Committees. There shall be one standing committee of the Friends of the Library namely: Nominating. The Chair shall specify its chair. The Nominating Committee shall nominate candidates for the Board of Officers. The Nominating Committee shall consist of no fewer than three members of the Board of Directors and the Library Dean, and it shall report its nominations to the Board of Directors at the regular annual meeting each year. Other standing committees may be constituted as the Board of Directors deems necessary. The duties and responsibilities of standing committees shall be approved by the Board of Directors. The Chairs of standing committees shall be members of the Board of Directors.
Section 2: Special Committees. The Chair shall appoint such special committees as the Chair finds desirable in carrying out the purposed.
ARTICLE VII – Funds
Gifts made to the Friends of the Library will be expended and maintained by the Library following the established guidelines and policies of the College of Charleston. The Board will receive and review financial reports on investment and expenditure of these funds at the meeting following the close of the College Foundation’s fiscal year.
ARTICLE VIII – Amendments
These Bylaws be amended at the Annual Meeting of the Board of the Friends by a two-thirds vote of those present.